Peter / Logic

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57059
Hi,
My HEX-NET has just alerted me that it needs a " Firmware Update " and that I should log into VCDS Mobile to download the update, but when I log into VCDS Mobile and go to " Update " I get a Time Out error and I cannot make the update.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue or has anyone resolved this issue fo far ?

Cheers,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you running your HEX-NET in AP mode or in Infrastructure mode? It must be in infrastructure mode, connected to a WiFi network that allows it access to the internet and our server in order for it to get updates.

If it's in Infrastructure mode, try [Self-Test] and even [Advanced Network Test] and post up the results please.

-Uwe-

PS: Moved from Pre-Sales to HEX-NET Support.

Last edited:

Peter / Logic

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57059
Are you running your HEX-NET in AP mode or in Infrastructure mode? It must be in infrastructure mode, connected to a WiFi network that allows it access to the internet and our server in order for it to get updates.

If it's in Infrastructure mode, try [Self-Test] and even [Advanced Network Test] and post up the results please.

-Uwe-

All is good now,
1) I had not downloaded the configuration Utility so I had not setup Infrastructure Mode at all.

2) Once I setup the Wifi using the Security ID etc.. and completed the CLOUD registration it is working fine.

Peter / Logic

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57059
P.S The Firmware Update worked first time and the unit is Up To Date

Reactions: Uwe

turbovwgti

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=209822

-Uwe-

I am also having the same problem. I am running in infrastructure mode and connected to a wifi network. I use that ip address to acsess vcds mobile with no problem. When clicking options/check for update, it still times out. I tried advanced network test but it just kept running for an hour with no results. I am able to run a scan in mobile but im trying to get vcds working via firmware update. Also note that it never asked me to sign up for the cloud if that helps. Any help woiuld be appreciated! Thanks! Turbovwgti

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It sounds like your HEX-NET can't find its way to the outside world from your WiFi network. The question is: Why?

Are you allowing it to DHCP onto your network or did you by chance manually assign it a static IP?

-Uwe-

Peter / Logic

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57059
I am also having the same problem. I am running in infrastructure mode and connected to a wifi network. I use that ip address to acsess vcds mobile with no problem. When clicking options/check for update, it still times out. I tried advanced network test but it just kept running for an hour with no results. I am able to run a scan in mobile but im trying to get vcds working via firmware update. Also note that it never asked me to sign up for the cloud if that helps. Any help woiuld be appreciated! Thanks! Turbovwgti

I completed the Firmware update by connecting the HEX-NET to the laptop with the USB cable and while still using the HEX-NET in Infrastructure mode the Firmware Update worked perfect first time..
So I guess the USB cable must be connected in order to carry out Firmware Updates..

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, there's no reason why a USB connection should be required to do a firmware update.

-Uwe-

Peter / Logic

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57059
ok,
Does the Cloud registration have to be completed before the Firmware Update can be downloaded as I think I completed the Cloud registration before I completed the Firmware Update.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, it doesn't.

-Uwe-

turbovwgti

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=209822
Let me preface by saying Im a 37 year old vw tech of 18 years and am basic at best with computers. I have no choice but to try to stay up to date in my field so pardon and wrong terminology...(see above)I was using the wifi at work wich im guessing has restrictions on it because when I got home I was able to download the firmware with no problems using home wifi in infrastructure mode. I used vcds mobile to scan my vdub in the garage using ap but could not use the cloud in infrastructure mode because my wifi will not reach the garage. so I will have to try at work if they can resolve the restriction. I bought the vag com to use at work because the factory scan tool constantly has issues everytime theres an update and is hurting my efficiency. I wish vwoa came out with beta versions! Also I really didn't buy the hex net for the mobile option but was hopeing to use vcds wirelessly through the cloud. I will have to play with it Monday to see if it works. Why wifi and not Bluetooth? Is it for the mobile option? From what I have used it for so far it seems to be a great product and much faster than the factory scan tool wich will help me make more $. Thanks for the help Uwe and Peter/Logic!

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
I'm sure there are other reasons, but WiFi can have over three times the range of Bluetooth.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Why wifi and not Bluetooth?
Because WiFi's range is essentially world-wide. When you do stuff via TCP/IP networking, any device should be able to talk to any other device, provided both devices are on networks that have access to the internet. This opens up a huge realm of possibilities, most of which we haven't even begun to explore, but we need to be able to walk steadily before we try to run.

WiFi signal in my garage here was terrible too. So I bought a cheap WiFi router and installed it in the garage. I used a couple of powerline network adapters to give it access to my network 'cause I was too lazy to run CAT5 cabling to the garage.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back