Installing BilStein ClubSport - 2016 Audi TTS with MRC

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
My question: How or Can I turn off the MRC or do I need to buy the cheater modules that fool the car into thinking it still has MRC connected?

I hope is the former; seems shame to have to buy a 300 gizmo to plug into the system to fool it.

Thank you,

Mossy

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would think it could be coded out. Trouble is there may be other systems that get data from the suspension, for example the headlight range controller...

Let's start with an Auto-Scan from the car so people can see exactly what it's made of.

-Uwe-

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
I have posted one before, I haven't changed anything since then, do you still want me to post it again?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have posted one before, I haven't changed anything since then, do you still want me to post it again?
No, you don't need to post a new scan, but having a scan of this car (even the somewhat older one you posted above) provides context necessary for this thread.

What I might do is disconnect the 14-Susp. Elect. module, untick 14 in the Gateway, and then see what other modules are unhappy as a result.

However... As new as this car is, there are a number of things in it that aren't documented yet...

-Uwe-

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
I reposted the link from the corrected scan.

I will try the suggestion: 14-Susp.

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
The suggested area is greyed out, I can't get into the advanced coding area, and looked at every area I could with no suggestion MRC that I can changed. It needs a password for advanced coding.

I tried to load a photo but the site is being finicky today...

I just checked the ohm load on the front damper, it reads a rock steady 1.3ohm. The KW plug in module reads around that range but, acts like it has a capacitor in the potted module so the load jumps up and down. I need another person to compress the damper to see if that the 1.3 changes under compression. I might just be able to install 4 1.3ohm resistors...

Last edited:

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676

I tested a shock with an DMM and as a static load its 1.3 ohms but when I moved the piston in and out the value changed slightly but quickly settled back to 1.3r. When I switched the DMM to Mv is where I was a bit surprised, the shock generates small amounts of AC current in the millivolt range but No DC. If I can't find a way into the system to turn off the Mag Shock option, the plug in modules that KW and iSweep sell (nearly 500.00$$), might be my only option. Only If building a resistor load with a small value capacitor would not harm the ECU, fear of shorting out the MRC brain.

I wonder if the grayed out coding menu issue is due to the shocks being removed from the system, so I am locked out till I plug the shocks back in...

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
mossback: I'm not entirely certain that a DMM is the correct tool to measure the electrical damping characteristics of the shock. The problem with the DMM is its sampling rate in comparison to the likely wave shape from the shock (which I would suspect is mostly symmetrical with a fast decay time).

If possible, I suggest that you use an oscilloscope - preferably one with a trace capture capability. I've no experience with this type of measurement, but the low impedance reading suggests that the signal is current based, rather than voltage based, so measuring into the shock with an open circuit probably isn't the best idea (if you have disconnected the wires from the module). Instead, it might be more prudent to use a shunt load of some type and then measure the volt-drop across the load (i think). If I remember my lab professor's teaching (long ago now), the maximum energy transfer happens when the measurement impedance equals the transducer impedance! So, if you measured the 1.3 ohms with the shock connected, it's likely that the latent internal impedance of the shock is 2 x 1.3 = 2.6 ohms (because the transducer would be wired in parallel with the low impedance of the module. So consider a 2.6 ohm shunt resistor as the starting point for your measurements (I think)

If you can't get access to a storage oscilloscope, then you might try an analogue ammeter, but you will need to take account of the inertia of the coil/needle in the meter vis-a-vis the time constant of the electrical trace from the shock (I think). If you have not disconnected the shock from the car, then an analogue volt meter might be better than a DMM (but the mass-inertia of the needle and the frequency response of the meter is still a factor in the reading)'

Don

PS: "I was a bit surprised, the shock generates small amounts of AC current in the millivolt range but No DC." Is this so surprising? The typical waveform of the shock would likely be something like this:

As you can see, the waveform is largely (but not totally) symmetrical - so when measured by a "true RMS" reading DMM. it would register an AC value, with little if any DC component - I think!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
Surprised: it was generating anything.

I have an O scope and an old fashioned analog mm, will try that. The shocks are completely out of the car, this whole exercise is due the grayed out adaption menus to turn off the MRC, for now its just PITA BEEEP; you may continue to drive: thank you computer.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Surprised: it was generating anything.

I have an O scope and an old fashioned analog mm, will try that. The shocks are completely out of the car, this whole exercise is due the grayed out adaption menus to turn off the MRC, for now its just PITA BEEEP; you may continue to drive: thank you computer.

mossback: OK, if all the measurement were taken with an open circuited transducer, then you might not have gotten any meaningful results.

Again. I'm by no means an expert on these shocks, but most electrical current generating devices get fairly cranky when they are connected to high impedance loads (like an open circuit). What trypically happens is that they try to generate electrical current, but the high impedance stops this current from flowing. As a result of the electrical "blockage" (caused by the high resistance at the transducer output terminals), the voltage of the transducer rises quickly - in an attempt to make the current flow.

This situation generally causes one of two things to happen: Either the high voltage causes the coil insulation between windings to break-down, or (more likely with shocks), the increased voltage causes the magnetic material in the transducer to saturate - causing nonsensical readings.

The same thing happens to voltage transducers if the connected load is too low - the electrical current rises quickly in an attempt to generate the necessary voltage and at some point, either a component in the transducer is fried, or the transducer circuit self limits the maximum current flow

So, please use a shunt resistor!

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

mossback

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244676
mossback: OK, if all the measurement were taken with an open circuited transducer, then you might not have gotten any meaningful results.

Again. I'm by no means an expert on these shocks, but most electrical current generating devices get fairly cranky when they are connected to high impedance loads (like an open circuit). What trypically happens is that they try to generate electrical current, but the high impedance stops this current from flowing. As a result of the electrical "blockage" (caused by the high resistance at the transducer output terminals), the voltage of the transducer rises quickly - in an attempt to make the current flow.

This situation generally causes one of two things to happen: Either the high voltage causes the coil insulation between windings to break-down, or (more likely with shocks), the increased voltage causes the magnetic material in the transducer to saturate - causing nonsensical readings.

The same thing happens to voltage transducers if the connected load is too low - the electrical current rises quickly in an attempt to generate the necessary voltage and at some point, either a component in the transducer is fried, or the transducer circuit self limits the maximum current flow

So, please use a shunt resistor!

Don

Still no use, can't find a way to disable MRC, bought and tried a set of the KW DDC\MRC delete devices: works for about a mile, then the same error pops up about suspension. Also with the system reporting good health, the VCDS is not able to log into 14, to make any changes to the MRC. Does anyone have a security code to see the "hidden" menu?

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
have you tried to disconect 14 physically, code out 14 from gateway, code 55 to remove so AFS still gets data also code out from 5F?

Back