S4 folding mirror adjustment...

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
My S4 has folding mirrors, I have them set to fold when the vehicle is locked. I also have it set to close windows/sunroof (if open) when locked by holding lock button on key to do so.

My problem is that the passenger side mirror folds in a little too far so that it touches the passenger door window and that if the window is open it then rubs up the mirror making a mark on the glass and wearing away the edge of the mirror.

It's not a huge problem as it won't be often that I lock the car with the window open but it's annoying that it can happen, what I'd like to know if it's possible to adjust how far the mirror folds because if it folded just a little less, in fact like the driver's side does then this wouldn't occur - the passenger's side mirror folds in notably further than the driver's side mirror does.

So does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the amount that the mirror folds in by? I can't (at a quick glance) see anything mechanical. :thumbs:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a fuzzy recollection that there's a way to teach it how far it's allowed to fold. Then again, I may be thinking how far it should dip when it's in reverse? Have you checked the owner's manual for this?

-Uwe-

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
The amount it dips in reverse is adjustable simply by adjusting the mirror when it's in the reverse-dipped position but this only adjusts the glass.

Having looked more closely it appears that both mirror housings fold by the same amount but that the passenger side housing is in a further back position to start with - this to get the correct viewing angle from the driver's seat.

There's nothing mentioned in the manual and as far as folding it seems they're either folded or not, they won't stop anywhere between.

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
Returning to this, for anyone interested.

Car was serviced at the local Audi dealer today, I asked about the mirror fold and after inspecting they tell me an internal (metal) stop is slightly bent allowing the mirror to fold a little more than it should. There is no adjustment and they said that trying to straighten the part would likely break it, also that there is no replacement part available only a complete mirror replacement. They say this must have happened by the mirror being pushed or hit and so is not repairable under warranty.

They told me a new mirror is £1100 (around $1400) so I declined as it causes no problem other than if closing the window with the mirror folded (an unlikely event in the knowledge) but if I'm feeling brave/bored one day I may have a go at fixing it myself - it can surely be straightened/repaired/welded or somehow fettled to work without needing a new mirror by someone who 'wants' to do so but as everything else on it works fine then it can wait...

Back