VCDS lite ecu recoding

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to change the soft coding of another used ecu with an immo delete to work in my car.

The donor car is the same as mine. 02 a4 B6 1.8tq manual. The donor car is the US model while mine is Euro. The ecu part numbers are slightly different.
ORIGINAL: 8e0909518b
NEW: 8e0909518ak

I cannot successfully change the soft coding value in VCDS lite free version. I have put in the login code and that didn't help. Will the registered​ VCDS lite allow me to change it?

Also does the security pin/SKC need to be known and entered to change the soft coding?

I just want to know if buying this software will allow me to change the values. Currently workshop code and importer number are blocked in the soft coding tab.
Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The donor car is the same as mine. 02 a4 B6 1.8tq manual.
"The same"? I don't think so.

8E0-909-518-B belongs on an AVJ engine.
8E0-909-518-AK belongs on an AMB engine.

If they were "the same" why would a coding change be needed? ;)

In any case there is no functional restriction in Coding in VCDS-Lite, so registering is not going to fix this.

-Uwe-

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
"The same"? I don't think so.

8E0-909-518-B belongs on an AVJ engine.
8E0-909-518-AK belongs on an AMB engine.

If they were "the same" why would a coding change be needed? ;)

In any case there is no functional restriction in Coding in VCDS-Lite, so registering is not going to fix this.

-Uwe-

Alright so then I cant change it at all?
Will entering the SKC allow me to change the soft coding? VCDs lite won't let me enter the SKC so I have no way of telling. Other people say they have had no trouble changing the soft coding of the ecu.

This has been done before but I can't seem to do it :(

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-and-IMMO-Defeat-Clone-Need-some-advice/page2

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Coding cannot turn an AMB ECU into an AVJ ECU.

So what exactly are you trying to change and why? You said both cars are 1.8tq manual.

-Uwe-

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
Because it has fault codes on the dash. My case is the same as this guy (from the link above)

"When I installed the replacement ECU it immediately had many fault codes, which is not surprising because it is from a heavily tuned car with Maestro programming, but when I cleared the engine codes one immediately came back:

18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
P1612 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

The software coding is different between the working ECU and this replacement... one is 0016701 while the replacement is 0016001"

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
Found I can change the AMB ecu soft coding with VCDS lite but not to the same as the old AVJ ecu. I can only make minor changes. Without knowing what each digit designates there is no point in making any changes. I will have to flash the old ecu or drive it with the AMB and live with the warning lights. Thanks anyway

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Ok, You said your car is same as donor. Well it is not.
You car is All wheel drive and donor is 2 wheel drive.
Fifth digit is for that. So software in donor ECU do not suppeort all wheel drive and that why you can not chnage coding.

ambecucodingtable.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
Ok, You said your car is same as donor. Well it is not.
You car is All wheel drive and donor is 2 wheel drive.
Fifth digit is for that. So software in donor ECU do not suppeort all wheel drive and that why you can not chnage coding.

ambecucodingtable.jpg

Thanks for that. I know the cars are slightly different but they are definitely both quattro. The coding table says if the 5th digit is "7" it's AWD.

The soft coding for the stock ecu is 0004701 while the new Amb ecu is 0016711.

Now I know the donor car was a 6 speed not 5 speed like mine. I will change the 2nd last digit to a "0" so it is 5 speed manual.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
The software coding is different between the working ECU and this replacement... one is 0016701 while the replacement is 0016001"

You wrote here that replacement ECU has 00160001 coding ?????
This is 2 wheel drive car .

Reactions: Uwe

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
You wrote here that replacement ECU has 00160001 coding ?????
This is 2 wheel drive car .

Sorry you misunderstood me. I meant i had the same problems (MILs) as someone else in another forum doing an ecu swap simular to mine. I followed up by quoting this person, that coding was their own.

I only get 2 engine fault codes with the new ecu in. (That show up with VCDS lite)

-17881/P1473/005235 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump: Open Circuit
-16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low

I didn't have the evap leak problem with the original ecu in as far as I remember. Probably not related to the ecu swap.

As for the soft coding, I won't be able to change the country/emissions but I don't think that would matter.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Evap leak is most likely ECU related. Your car probably doesn't have evap leak circuit/pump/hardware etc...

US and Jap cars often do.

smirnoffandcoke

Reaction score
Evap leak is most likely ECU related. Your car probably doesn't have evap leak circuit/pump/hardware etc...

US and Jap cars often do.

Thanks, yeah I couldn't find the evap detection pump or the canister that is supposed to be under near the spare wheel when I looked today.

That engine light will be because my car hasn't​ got evap hardware. I'll live with the engine light for now and try find a way to trick the ecu there is an evap system. Someone might of come up with a full evap delete that still sends signal to the ecu or something. Idk :')

Such a pain swapping this ecu, definitely regret not getting a remote tune on the original.

Back