Thread: CodingLog.TXT, a little safety net for you.

Post Thanks / Like

CodingLog.TXT, a little safety net for you.

ALWAYS RUN AUTO-SCAN AND SAVE BEFORE YOU MAKE SOFT CODING CHANGES!! WRITE DOWN ADAPTATION VALUES BEFORE CHANGING!!

A behind-the-scenes function of VCDS the CodingLog.TXT file. Whenever Soft Coding or Adaptation values are changed, VCDS will create a log, recording part number, old value, new value and time/date stamp.

The CodingLog.TXT is found in the \DeBug folder, in most cases here:

C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug

Or if you are running a Beta version of VCDS, found here:

C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS-Beta\Debug

Just open the CodingLog.TXT with the Windows Notepad to view the contents. Here is a simple example of what you can expect:

Code:
    Address 17:5C6 920 950 D recoded (Long Coding) from 270201 to 170201  (07437/000/04130)  Thursday,07,August,2014,11:13:06:51346
    Address 17:5C6 920 950 D recoded (ADP-Display correction of fuel gauge) from 0.0  to 1   Thursday,07,August,2014,11:13:52:51346
    Address 01:06A 906 018 JJ recoded (Short coding) from 00033 to 00023  (08230/---/-----)  Thursday,07,August,2014,14:51:29:51346
    Address 19:3C0 907 530 K recoded (Installation List) from FFFFFFFFFFFFFF03F100 to FDFFFF7FFFFFFF01F100  Thursday,07,August,2014,14:52:21:51346
    Oh yes, this "car" is an odd one. Note that control module address, part number, old to new values and date/time information is recorded.

The CodingLog.TXT is not fool proof. You, the end user of VCDS, are responsible for your actions, or lack of.
    Last edited by Jef; 08-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    ...Whenever Soft Coding or Adaptation values are changed, VCDS will create a log, recording part number, old value, new value and time/date stamp.
    Not really, because of this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    ...The CodingLog.TXT is not full proof...
    I hope Eric may join the discussion as I have a few programming ideas of how to accomplish the correct logging. I appreciate the 'DoIt_Click' may run off the end of the Sub before the new header is returned so it may be difficult to manage directly in the DoIt_Click Sub; but with a few strategically placed global flags...?

I don't know. Maybe not for open discussion here but PM me if required.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you access this information if you using vcds mobile and if so how?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think VCDS-Mobile creates/maintains the equivalent of CodingLog.TXT yet.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Maybe someone can give advice, links how to carry out coding. Give initial understanding in this matter. What should be launched in order to learn how to perform coding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinas View Post
    Hello. Maybe someone can give advice, links how to carry out coding. Give initial understanding in this matter. What should be launched in order to learn how to perform coding.
    What kind of car do you have? What do you wish to change?

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.