Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RNS 510 retrofit - MFSW not working... sort of

Verified VCDS User Vasco Ferraz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the dig but I want to know (please) if you solved this issue and how did you do it.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Vasco Ferraz; 06-10-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the dig for Bluetooth MFSW button fix

3. Likes Vasco Ferraz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much
    Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, apparently the problem stems from the revision number of the RNS 510 and possibly the revision number of the bluetooth module. Check and see what you have.

This comes from BarryT82 on golfmkv forum:

"You have to have a version E or above RNS-510 and a 9w7 with SW 27xx or above to change songs. For voice command you need SW 2902 or above on the Bluetooth module. Did you buy the voice command Bluetooth harness or non voice command? It's a simple mode to make it work."

My bluetooth module meets these criteria but the RNS unit I bought does not. Not real happy with my purchase now

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rns firmware updates are freely available on the internet.
    Just upgrade it to latest making sure you get the appropriate version for your unit eg Europe or North America

7. Likes Emzy liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was led to believe that certain RNS510 lettered revisions are only firmware-upgradable to a certain point. I have a revision C RNS510 and I think the latest supported firmware number for C is 1140 or something, several updates behind the minimum 27xx firmware number. Am led to believe that the minimum firmware number starts to be supported at the E lettered RNS revision.

I'm taking all of that on the word of someone else though, so I can't be sure. Maybe Vasco will upgrade his firmware and let us know if it works.

The ability to "enable firmware downgrade" through the head unit setup menu leads me to believe that some firmware numbers are incompatible or troublesome with certain head unit revisions. This is purely speculative though.

I wont be testing this out because I already ordered the most recent RNS 510 revision. Hoping the SSD improves the very slow boot times I'm experiencing now (after turning on the vehicle I have to wait ~90 seconds before I can put it in reverse and see the backup camera).

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can update to 5238 modified by jossi
    https://dfiles.eu/files/5flgt1nnd
    i have personally used it on many devices including A & B revions, of course as always there is a certain risk of bricking device, so risk is all yours

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The version numbers between North America and Europe are not similar.
    Version 1140 I think is the latest for NA whereas 6276 is the lastest for Europe/Rest of World.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|DAB RNS|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|Full colour MFD|Quad LED tail rings| Climatronics upgrade| Dynaudio retrofit | B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|TPMS Direct|Discover Media retrofit

11. Likes m87a, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Emzy View Post
    Maybe Vasco will upgrade his firmware and let us know if it works.
    I will indeed let us all know if it worked as expected.

The problem (ok, not a problem) is that I received the radio yesterday and I am going to vacations this Thursday.

From my experience I tend to break clips when doing something in a rush. I hate to break things just because I am in a rush or didn't do the homework.

So I will probably just do my retrofit on the 8th/9th of July
    Vasco Ferraz

13. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was very impatient to test it so I managed to get some free time today.

I was able dismantle radio console without damage

So, in short, everything worked like a charm.

Even though knowing that the protocol used in the instruments cluster is DDP I was able to get the name of the music playing in the MFD.

I consider this a bonus as I was not expecting to get this function working. The RCD300 was not able to transmit songs name to the cluster. Just a "Track N" was displayed.

Also, volume, mute(star), menu, OK and up/down buttons are working as expected. The behaviour was similar when the RCD300 radio was installed.
    Telephone button is disabled because I don't have the BT module. Again, the behaviour was similar when the RCD300 radio was installed.

I didn't test the battery drain... And I am not testing it today just by leaving the radio over night. I need the car tomorrow and I don't want to waste 100 in a new battery. So the battery drain issue will be be tested when I came back from vacations.

Also, I can make a detailed guide with GW, radio, instruments cluster parts numbers and sw/hw revisions.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Vasco Ferraz

15. Likes Emzy, m87a, Uwe liked this post