Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ETKA alternative - perhaps?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts. Mercedes went to the extent of jailing parts suppliers in the open market by using dubious means to prosecute them. Also the warranty cover for the troublesome dsg gearboxes is only for 5 years. In short companies will do anything that they can get away with, and would never dare to do the same in their home markets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vu2gte View Post
    Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts.
    Interesting. That's certainly not how things are in Europe or NAR. Dealers are happy to sell parts to anyone because it's quite profitable for them.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vu2gte View Post
    Here in India the VAG group and many other companies refuse to sell a walk in customer parts. Mercedes went to the extent of jailing parts suppliers in the open market by using dubious means to prosecute them. Also the warranty cover for the troublesome dsg gearboxes is only for 5 years. In short companies will do anything that they can get away with, and would never dare to do the same in their home markets.
    vu2gte: Wow - that's outrageous!!! How does a country of 1.3 Billion people allow such things to happen?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it is on company instructions, which is a result of weak enforcement of consumer rights. According to some dealers that I spoke with the companies insist on a job card being opened everytime a part is consumed.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found other site:

*SNIPSNAP*

The part number search doesn't work as well as the VIN number search.

Update:

Sorry I didn't know the link I posted was a Copyright Violation. I found the name on MTD so I Googled it.
    Last edited by Keithuk; 06-20-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Link removed, Copyright Violation
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

8. Likes GaryM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hint: no imprint, no information about the service etc. What makes you think those are legal either?
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it so hard to ask the dealer to look up the part for free legally?

or pay &

Get a valid subscription to the etka/parts link or Lex-com alternate?

Isn't it about getting the right part anyway?

It never hurts to know what is circulating on the web as an asset or liability.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User Vasco Ferraz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we buy a product (car) and the manufacture allows the customer to buy any part they should give you a free quotation stating: part numbers, prices, delivery dates...

If the official seller does not give you that (like in India) the best free option is google: Try "ETKA online". All free results are illegal but if I were you I wouldn't care.

Keep in mind that those free services sometimes have bugs, that is, wrong parts number that won't fit in the car which you are searching.
    Vasco Ferraz

Post Thanks / Like
    Since this is a commercial forum, we will not accept any links to illegal content. I'm sure you can understand that.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm......... Why would anyone accept the notion that public access to part number/model suitability is "illegal"?

What is it about public access to this information that is "not legal"?

Is there intrinsic IP in the number itself, or in the information that the part is suitable for a particular model, or in the price - Shirley, no one here can believe that there is?

As a potential customer of spare parts - how many times do I have to pay VW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Why is it so hard to ask the dealer to look up the part for free legally?...........
    Jack: That's exactly the point!

You can't have it both ways! If you accept that this information is bound by some sort of IP (and I most certainly do not), then how is it "legal" for the spare parts seller to disclose this highly secret information to any Joe-average who just walks into the shop?

And, if it is "legal" for Joe-average to get this secret information by merely walking into the shop and simply ask for it - then why isn't it equally "legal" for Joe-average to log-into the shop's website and simply ask the same question digitally? Why does the act of walking into a shop make it "legal" and using the web make it "illegal"? Shirley, those here that support VW's current practices can't believe that it's "illegal" to have web based access to this information purely because it's a more efficient method than walking into a dealer's spare parts department to ask the question?

And if simply having the information disclosed on a website (or having a link to those websites) makes it illegal - how do the plethora of these websites prevail (Given VAG's well known propensity for litigation and their vast legal resources- why do these "illegal" businesses still exist in such numbers)? And... no - this matter is certainly NOT the same as IP theft related to clone VCDS cables!

Again, and please don't take offense (because no offense is intended) - the practice of making the end-user pay for something that should be free and then deliberately designing the charging regime so that it can't be worthwhile to Joe-average, is just another way for VW to get revenue (and to cement the dealer/independent workshop into the transaction).

Come the revolution (comrade) when the proletariat's interests prevail - such inane practices by multinational conglomerates will be outlawed! When this happens (as it surely must happen) - which side will you be on (i.e. the side of the silver-tailed, shiny pants bosses, or the side of the common man) ?

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 06-20-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

14. Likes D-Dub liked this post