Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ETKA alternative - perhaps?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ ^^ Jack: we shall have to agree to disagree (again) - when I want to buy an electronic component for a project, I don't need to pay the parts supplier for the privilege of finding the part number for the purchase, nor do I need to know about arcane facilities like Lex-Com microfiche equivalent.

Perhaps it's my own paranoia about the commercial practices of a multi-national conglomerate like VW, but I remain unconvinced by your position (sorry)!

Don

PS: I wouldn't be paranoid if it wasn't a fact that the world is against me!
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one. I think it's a complete nonsense that VAG charge to look through their parts catalogue, and the official sources such as PL24 are charging fees that I wouldn't even call reasonable for the average Joe. Access to spare part resources should be free for everyone, businesses and private individuals alike.

Regarding your analogy about buying electronic components and being able to browse and search for the part you need without having to pay for the privilege of doing that, I had exactly the same thoughts earlier today when I read this thread. It's the same story for any goods you want to purchase whether it be electronic components, clothes, or even pattern car parts from an independent retailer etc. No retailer that I'm aware of makes a charge for you to use and search for goods on their website, or in their store either for that matter. It's just another way for some of the car manufacturers to try and make even more money when instead they should focus on customer service and satisfaction by providing and promoting free use of those facilities which can only help them to sell more parts IMO.

If VAG won't provide me with free access to look up parts for my own car because I potentially want to spend money at one of their dealerships, then whether people think it's right or wrong I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.
    Last edited by GaryM; 04-30-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicate word

4. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    ....I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.
    Plus, You're probably better at it than they are....

6. Likes DV52 liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ ^^ Jack: we shall have to agree to disagree (again) - when I want to buy an electronic component for a project, I don't need to pay the parts supplier for the privilege of finding the part number for the purchase, nor do I need to know about arcane facilities like Lex-Com microfiche equivalent.

Perhaps it's my own paranoia about the commercial practices of a multi-national conglomerate like VW, but I remain unconvinced by your position (sorry)!

Don

PS: I wouldn't be paranoid if it wasn't a fact that the world is against me!
    I understand and respect your position............
    I just think when you can pay to get the correct part based on the VIN # or when data is in question or missing in a car, .........at least it does have a value to me.

Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one. I think it's a complete nonsense that VAG charge to look through their parts catalogue, and the official sources such as PL24 are charging fees that I wouldn't even call reasonable for the average Joe. Access to spare part resources should be free for everyone, businesses and private individuals alike.

Regarding your analogy about buying electronic components and being able to browse and search for the part you need without having to pay for the privilege of doing that, I had exactly the same thoughts earlier today when I read this thread. It's the same story for any goods you want to purchase whether it be electronic components, clothes, or even pattern car parts from an independent retailer etc. No retailer that I'm aware of makes a charge for you to use and search for goods on their website, or in their store either for that matter. It's just another way for some of the car manufacturers to try and make even more money when instead they should focus on customer service and satisfaction by providing and promoting free use of those facilities which can only help them to sell more parts IMO.

If VAG won't provide me with free access to look up parts for my own car because I potentially want to spend money at one of their dealerships, then whether people think it's right or wrong I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.

Strip clubs have cover charges.........and minimum drink requirement.
    Fairs charge an entrance fee and than additional for the rides or games.

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Strip clubs have cover charges.........and minimum drink requirement.

Jack: Since the start of my short but enjoyable association with this forum - I have found that I'm much better served by saying nothing about matters with which I have little experience, or understanding. I believe that responding to your reply above is very much such an occasion!

Instead - I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge and I applaud your insightful association of VW's spare parts practices with those of Strip clubs!! Personally, I would never have made the connection, but now that you have raised the matter, I can see that the business models of the two enterprises are truly aligned!! It speaks volumes about the type of business acumen that the Board of VW wanted in their current CEO!

Don

9. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one.
    Gary: It is of immense consolation to have your support! That makes two x lone voices in the wilderness - perhaps soon there will be three (the revolution has started!)

Don

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack: Since the start of my short but enjoyable association with this forum - I have found that I'm much better served by saying nothing about matters with which I have little experience, or understanding. I believe that responding to your reply above is very much such an occasion!

Instead - I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge and I applaud your insightful association of VW's spare parts practices with those of Strip clubs!! Personally, I would never have made the connection, but now that you have raised the matter, I can see that the business models of the two enterprises are truly aligned!! It speaks volumes about the type of business acumen that the Board of VW wanted in their current CEO!

Don
    I can tell you unequivocally that it is a fair comparison, in addition to other side slush funds.
    You read my pea brain thought process exactly!

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Gary: It is of immense consolation to have your support! That makes two x lone voices in the wilderness - perhaps soon there will be three (the revolution has started!)
    Well, if I was the Benevolent Dictator of an actual car company, I would provide free access to my parts catalog, so I guess that's a third...

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

14. Likes GaryM liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    4th!

While I agree that being able to freely search for and identify parts and associated information necessary to making a purchase of said parts should be free, I would also like to submit another potential similar example of VW's business process;

Some companies used to have catalogs that you had to pay for (the catalog itself), before you could buy any of the items within the catalog.

I can't remember what specific company(s) used to do it, or if they are even still in business (hah probably not).

Likewise, I think there are also websites, that you must be a paid member, before you can utilize said website to order stuff from said website.

So, paying something just to get access to pay for something more, is well I guess part of that whole free market economy.

Of course as they say, information wants to be free.

16. Likes GaryM liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Well, if I was the Benevolent Dictator of an actual car company, I would provide free access to my parts catalog, so I guess that's a third...

-Uwe-