ETKA alternative - perhaps?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Not sure if it's well known, but I came across this link (which was posted by a VWW forum colleague - thanks LocoPolo)

*SNIPSNAP*

Has anyone used this website before?

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

m_bolc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230356
I use *SNIPSNAP*

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
What makes you think either of these are legal? :) As far as I am aware, they are not.

There is only ONE legit page.

www.partslink24.com

Sebastian, thanks for the response - In my naivety, the concept of the legality of finding a catalogue number for the purpose of buying a spare part from VW never entered my head - go figure!

I tried registering on partslink24, but it's clearly intended for businesses and private individuals that have a regular need to access this type of information. At a recurring cost of 240€ per year ($350 AUD) - someone like me and I suspect, many (all?) other "enthusiasts" on this forum that have only an occasional need for this service, the price is prohibitive.

But far more important and of much greater concern for anyone who takes IP theft seriously (and I do) is knowing what is legitimately the restricted property of VW and what part of the information in this service is reasonably in public domain?

I'm aware that this is not a question for Ross Tech, but your response (thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention) has raised a fundamental question - in my mind at least

Don

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Let's change the narrative a little, is it truly the data that is IP or is it protected because somebody invests time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc.? In the least, the diagrams/images are IP, though personally I find it reasonable for this being a payed service (just because there is work going into this). That said, other manufacturers offer this for free...

https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/service/manuals/web-etk.html

...and realistically, in the end they earn money when you buy the parts. ;)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Let's change the narrative a little, is it truly the data that is IP or is it protected because somebody invests time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc.? In the least, the diagrams/images are IP, though personally I find it reasonable for this being a payed service (just because there is work going into this). That said, other manufacturers offer this for free...

https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/service/manuals/web-etk.html

...and realistically, in the end they earn money when you buy the parts. ;)

Sebastian:New narrative understood - fair point!

But in my simple mind, a company that has a business model of selling spare parts should include the facility for prospective buyers to discover both the catalogue number for the part sought and a mechanism for giving confidence that the catalogue number is correct (by way of diagrams/images). Yes, payment for this service should be afforded to the seller (for "time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc."), but it should be a "general overhead" and the costs amortized over the entire cost base of the company. Segregating these costs as "protected IP services" and then claiming as justification that the information cannot be accessed unless a fee is paid seems....well.............greedy and it kind-of runs-foul of the underlying business model (IMO).:facepalm:

Do you know if VW have followed BMW's example, and if so - perhaps a web-link?

Don

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
I use *SNIPSNAP*

That's a good site that works. For most of last year I've used *SNIPSNAP* but it says: Section is closed on demand of the copyright holder.

There is a new link *SNIPSNAP* but when you search for part numbers it shows the same message. Section is closed on demand of the copyright holder.

ETKA shows all part numbers separated e.g. rear spraying jet - 5K0 955 993 A. On the old site it doesn't matter if you have spaces or not. The old site used to show all models that used that part number which was great.

*SNIPSNAP* doesn't like spaces.

The other thing with these site is the VIN number search doesn't work.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sebastian, thanks for the response - In my naivety, the concept of the legality of finding a catalogue number for the purpose of buying a spare part from VW never entered my head - go figure!

I tried registering on partslink24, but it's clearly intended for businesses and private individuals that have a regular need to access this type of information. At a recurring cost of 240€ per year ($350 AUD) - someone like me and I suspect, many (all?) other "enthusiasts" on this forum that have only an occasional need for this service, the price is prohibitive.

But far more important and of much greater concern for anyone who takes IP theft seriously (and I do) is knowing what is legitimately the restricted property of VW and what part of the information in this service is reasonably in public domain?

I'm aware that this is not a question for Ross Tech, but your response (thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention) has raised a fundamental question - in my mind at least

Don

Rationalization huh?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Rationalization huh?

Jack:No offense, but to a hammer - everything looks like a nail!!:facepalm:

But in truth, no - I really did (still do) believe that a prospective purchaser of a spare part for a car (or for anything else) is entitled to know the part number and is entitled to have confidence that the part number is correct (by access to drawings) at no additional cost!! This system of information restriction by imposing a charging regime that ensures that only professional workshops can afford to have access to this information is wrong (IMHO) - no offense intended to those here that operate these workshops.

This service isn't like getting access to wiring diagrams, or repair manuals - for which I agree that an appropriate cost should be imposed. The information that is shrouded (incorrectly in my view) with the mantel of restricted IP is a direct requirement of the sale process for spare parts - a process that should be equally accessible to all without the need to pay a standing charge of 240€ per year for the privilege (a charging regime that I suspect bears no resemblance to actual costs and is simply designed to stop Joe-average from accessing the data).

But I suspect that mine is a lone voice in the wilderness and that it will make no difference whatsoever - I guess that I will need to wait for the revolution, comrade :)

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack:No offense, but to a hammer - everything looks like a nail!!:facepalm:

But in truth, no - I really did (still do) believe that a prospective purchaser of a spare part for a car (or for anything else) is entitled to know the part number and is entitled to have confidence that the part number is correct (by access to drawings) at no additional cost!! This system of information restriction by imposing a charging regime that ensures that only professional workshops can afford to have access to this information is wrong (IMHO) - no offense intended to those here that operate these workshops.

This service isn't like getting access to wiring diagrams, or repair manuals - for which I agree that an appropriate cost should be imposed. The information that is shrouded (incorrectly in my view) with the mantel of restricted IP is a direct requirement of the sale process for spare parts - a process that should be equally accessible to all without the need to pay a standing charge of 240€ per year for the privilege (a charging regime that I suspect bears no resemblance to actual costs and is simply designed to stop Joe-average from accessing the data).

But I suspect that mine is a lone voice in the wilderness and that it will make no difference whatsoever - I guess that I will need to wait for the revolution, comrade :)

Don

Don

Here is the flip of reality & "I can't but help feel your pain .........please release it to me!"

Maybe this curtails it! :D

First; Respectfully you already have that information & because , every VAG genuine part produced, has the part # stamped on it, in addition to date of production, and the damage code to identify the vender which produced it.
Second: if you wanted it superseded and checked to see if it is the latest VAG part #, you could call or email any respective VAG franchised dealer.
Third: the Lex-Com dongle with CD's/real microfiche is still produced or Parts link is available to anyone, just like Erwin if you want access to the IP data of sorts.

A reason why people or parts suppliers use "parts link" is that the database is enhanced with a VIN # cross check system & that "they" created to provide three things.
The origin selection of the world
The PR-Code build
When searching illustrations to only highlight the exact part to your VIN # with superseded part #.

Etka doesn't do this automatically and that is what you are paying for as a premium in this service, just like you buy a real VCDS to get access to the real latest software.

That is why it is IP............RIGHT?

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^ ^^ Jack: we shall have to agree to disagree (again) - when I want to buy an electronic component for a project, I don't need to pay the parts supplier for the privilege of finding the part number for the purchase, nor do I need to know about arcane facilities like Lex-Com microfiche equivalent.

Perhaps it's my own paranoia about the commercial practices of a multi-national conglomerate like VW, but I remain unconvinced by your position (sorry)!

Don

PS: I wouldn't be paranoid if it wasn't a fact that the world is against me!:rolleyes:

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one. I think it's a complete nonsense that VAG charge to look through their parts catalogue, and the official sources such as PL24 are charging fees that I wouldn't even call reasonable for the average Joe. Access to spare part resources should be free for everyone, businesses and private individuals alike.

Regarding your analogy about buying electronic components and being able to browse and search for the part you need without having to pay for the privilege of doing that, I had exactly the same thoughts earlier today when I read this thread. It's the same story for any goods you want to purchase whether it be electronic components, clothes, or even pattern car parts from an independent retailer etc. No retailer that I'm aware of makes a charge for you to use and search for goods on their website, or in their store either for that matter. It's just another way for some of the car manufacturers to try and make even more money when instead they should focus on customer service and satisfaction by providing and promoting free use of those facilities which can only help them to sell more parts IMO.

If VAG won't provide me with free access to look up parts for my own car because I potentially want to spend money at one of their dealerships, then whether people think it's right or wrong I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.

Last edited:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
....I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.

Plus, You're probably better at it than they are....

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
^ ^^ Jack: we shall have to agree to disagree (again) - when I want to buy an electronic component for a project, I don't need to pay the parts supplier for the privilege of finding the part number for the purchase, nor do I need to know about arcane facilities like Lex-Com microfiche equivalent.

Perhaps it's my own paranoia about the commercial practices of a multi-national conglomerate like VW, but I remain unconvinced by your position (sorry)!

Don

PS: I wouldn't be paranoid if it wasn't a fact that the world is against me!:rolleyes:

I understand and respect your position............
I just think when you can pay to get the correct part based on the VIN # or when data is in question or missing in a car, .........at least it does have a value to me.

Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one. I think it's a complete nonsense that VAG charge to look through their parts catalogue, and the official sources such as PL24 are charging fees that I wouldn't even call reasonable for the average Joe. Access to spare part resources should be free for everyone, businesses and private individuals alike.

Regarding your analogy about buying electronic components and being able to browse and search for the part you need without having to pay for the privilege of doing that, I had exactly the same thoughts earlier today when I read this thread. It's the same story for any goods you want to purchase whether it be electronic components, clothes, or even pattern car parts from an independent retailer etc. No retailer that I'm aware of makes a charge for you to use and search for goods on their website, or in their store either for that matter. It's just another way for some of the car manufacturers to try and make even more money when instead they should focus on customer service and satisfaction by providing and promoting free use of those facilities which can only help them to sell more parts IMO.

If VAG won't provide me with free access to look up parts for my own car because I potentially want to spend money at one of their dealerships, then whether people think it's right or wrong I certainly have no conscience or qualms about using alternative sources to find the information I need if that's what I have to resort to.

Strip clubs have cover charges.........and minimum drink requirement.
Fairs charge an entrance fee and than additional for the rides or games.

:p

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Strip clubs have cover charges.........and minimum drink requirement.

:p

Jack: Since the start of my short but enjoyable association with this forum - I have found that I'm much better served by saying nothing about matters with which I have little experience, or understanding. I believe that responding to your reply above is very much such an occasion! :thumbs:

Instead - I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge and I applaud your insightful association of VW's spare parts practices with those of Strip clubs!! Personally, I would never have made the connection, but now that you have raised the matter, I can see that the business models of the two enterprises are truly aligned!! It speaks volumes about the type of business acumen that the Board of VW wanted in their current CEO!:D

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don, if it's any consolation, I'm with you on this one.

Gary: It is of immense consolation to have your support! That makes two x lone voices in the wilderness - perhaps soon there will be three (the revolution has started!)

Don

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack: Since the start of my short but enjoyable association with this forum - I have found that I'm much better served by saying nothing about matters with which I have little experience, or understanding. I believe that responding to your reply above is very much such an occasion! :thumbs:

Instead - I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge and I applaud your insightful association of VW's spare parts practices with those of Strip clubs!! Personally, I would never have made the connection, but now that you have raised the matter, I can see that the business models of the two enterprises are truly aligned!! It speaks volumes about the type of business acumen that the Board of VW wanted in their current CEO!:D

Don

I can tell you unequivocally that it is a fair comparison, in addition to other side slush funds. :rolleyes:
You read my pea brain thought process exactly!

4DLR5_AS01

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Gary: It is of immense consolation to have your support! That makes two x lone voices in the wilderness - perhaps soon there will be three (the revolution has started!)
Well, if I was the Benevolent Dictator of an actual car company, I would provide free access to my parts catalog, so I guess that's a third...

-Uwe-

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
4th!

While I agree that being able to freely search for and identify parts and associated information necessary to making a purchase of said parts should be free, I would also like to submit another potential similar example of VW's business process;

Some companies used to have catalogs that you had to pay for (the catalog itself), before you could buy any of the items within the catalog.

I can't remember what specific company(s) used to do it, or if they are even still in business (hah probably not).

Likewise, I think there are also websites, that you must be a paid member, before you can utilize said website to order stuff from said website.

So, paying something just to get access to pay for something more, is well I guess part of that whole free market economy.

Of course as they say, information wants to be free.

Back