Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ETKA alternative - perhaps?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

ETKA alternative - perhaps?

Not sure if it's well known, but I came across this link (which was posted by a VWW forum colleague - thanks LocoPolo)

*SNIPSNAP*

Has anyone used this website before?

Don
    Last edited by Sebastian; 06-20-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Link removed, Copyright Violation
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use *SNIPSNAP*
    Last edited by Sebastian; 06-20-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Link removed, Copyright Violation

3. Likes Keithuk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes you think either of these are legal? As far as I am aware, they are not.

There is only ONE legit page.

www.partslink24.com
    Last edited by Sebastian; 04-28-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

5. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    What makes you think either of these are legal? As far as I am aware, they are not.

There is only ONE legit page.

www.partslink24.com
    Sebastian, thanks for the response - In my naivety, the concept of the legality of finding a catalogue number for the purpose of buying a spare part from VW never entered my head - go figure!

I tried registering on partslink24, but it's clearly intended for businesses and private individuals that have a regular need to access this type of information. At a recurring cost of 240€ per year ($350 AUD) - someone like me and I suspect, many (all?) other "enthusiasts" on this forum that have only an occasional need for this service, the price is prohibitive.

But far more important and of much greater concern for anyone who takes IP theft seriously (and I do) is knowing what is legitimately the restricted property of VW and what part of the information in this service is reasonably in public domain?

I'm aware that this is not a question for Ross Tech, but your response (thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention) has raised a fundamental question - in my mind at least

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's change the narrative a little, is it truly the data that is IP or is it protected because somebody invests time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc.? In the least, the diagrams/images are IP, though personally I find it reasonable for this being a payed service (just because there is work going into this). That said, other manufacturers offer this for free...

https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/servi...s/web-etk.html

...and realistically, in the end they earn money when you buy the parts.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Let's change the narrative a little, is it truly the data that is IP or is it protected because somebody invests time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc.? In the least, the diagrams/images are IP, though personally I find it reasonable for this being a payed service (just because there is work going into this). That said, other manufacturers offer this for free...

https://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/servi...s/web-etk.html

...and realistically, in the end they earn money when you buy the parts.
    Sebastian:New narrative understood - fair point!

But in my simple mind, a company that has a business model of selling spare parts should include the facility for prospective buyers to discover both the catalogue number for the part sought and a mechanism for giving confidence that the catalogue number is correct (by way of diagrams/images). Yes, payment for this service should be afforded to the seller (for "time, money and resources to maintain it, publish it etc."), but it should be a "general overhead" and the costs amortized over the entire cost base of the company. Segregating these costs as "protected IP services" and then claiming as justification that the information cannot be accessed unless a fee is paid seems....well.............greedy and it kind-of runs-foul of the underlying business model (IMO).

Do you know if VW have followed BMW's example, and if so - perhaps a web-link?

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m_bolc View Post
    I use *SNIPSNAP*
    That's a good site that works. For most of last year I've used *SNIPSNAP* but it says: Section is closed on demand of the copyright holder.

There is a new link *SNIPSNAP* but when you search for part numbers it shows the same message. Section is closed on demand of the copyright holder.

ETKA shows all part numbers separated e.g. rear spraying jet - 5K0 955 993 A. On the old site it doesn't matter if you have spaces or not. The old site used to show all models that used that part number which was great.

*SNIPSNAP* doesn't like spaces.

The other thing with these site is the VIN number search doesn't work.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 06-20-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Link removed, Copyright Violation
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sebastian, thanks for the response - In my naivety, the concept of the legality of finding a catalogue number for the purpose of buying a spare part from VW never entered my head - go figure!

I tried registering on partslink24, but it's clearly intended for businesses and private individuals that have a regular need to access this type of information. At a recurring cost of 240€ per year ($350 AUD) - someone like me and I suspect, many (all?) other "enthusiasts" on this forum that have only an occasional need for this service, the price is prohibitive.

But far more important and of much greater concern for anyone who takes IP theft seriously (and I do) is knowing what is legitimately the restricted property of VW and what part of the information in this service is reasonably in public domain?

I'm aware that this is not a question for Ross Tech, but your response (thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention) has raised a fundamental question - in my mind at least

Don
    Rationalization huh?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Rationalization huh?
    Jack:No offense, but to a hammer - everything looks like a nail!!

But in truth, no - I really did (still do) believe that a prospective purchaser of a spare part for a car (or for anything else) is entitled to know the part number and is entitled to have confidence that the part number is correct (by access to drawings) at no additional cost!! This system of information restriction by imposing a charging regime that ensures that only professional workshops can afford to have access to this information is wrong (IMHO) - no offense intended to those here that operate these workshops.

This service isn't like getting access to wiring diagrams, or repair manuals - for which I agree that an appropriate cost should be imposed. The information that is shrouded (incorrectly in my view) with the mantel of restricted IP is a direct requirement of the sale process for spare parts - a process that should be equally accessible to all without the need to pay a standing charge of 240€ per year for the privilege (a charging regime that I suspect bears no resemblance to actual costs and is simply designed to stop Joe-average from accessing the data).

But I suspect that mine is a lone voice in the wilderness and that it will make no difference whatsoever - I guess that I will need to wait for the revolution, comrade

Don

12. Likes D-Dub, Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack:No offense, but to a hammer - everything looks like a nail!!

But in truth, no - I really did (still do) believe that a prospective purchaser of a spare part for a car (or for anything else) is entitled to know the part number and is entitled to have confidence that the part number is correct (by access to drawings) at no additional cost!! This system of information restriction by imposing a charging regime that ensures that only professional workshops can afford to have access to this information is wrong (IMHO) - no offense intended to those here that operate these workshops.

This service isn't like getting access to wiring diagrams, or repair manuals - for which I agree that an appropriate cost should be imposed. The information that is shrouded (incorrectly in my view) with the mantel of restricted IP is a direct requirement of the sale process for spare parts - a process that should be equally accessible to all without the need to pay a standing charge of 240€ per year for the privilege (a charging regime that I suspect bears no resemblance to actual costs and is simply designed to stop Joe-average from accessing the data).

But I suspect that mine is a lone voice in the wilderness and that it will make no difference whatsoever - I guess that I will need to wait for the revolution, comrade

Don

Don

Here is the flip of reality & "I can't but help feel your pain .........please release it to me!"

Maybe this curtails it!

First; Respectfully you already have that information & because , every VAG genuine part produced, has the part # stamped on it, in addition to date of production, and the damage code to identify the vender which produced it.
    Second: if you wanted it superseded and checked to see if it is the latest VAG part #, you could call or email any respective VAG franchised dealer.
    Third: the Lex-Com dongle with CD's/real microfiche is still produced or Parts link is available to anyone, just like Erwin if you want access to the IP data of sorts.

A reason why people or parts suppliers use "parts link" is that the database is enhanced with a VIN # cross check system & that "they" created to provide three things.
    The origin selection of the world
    The PR-Code build
    When searching illustrations to only highlight the exact part to your VIN # with superseded part #.

Etka doesn't do this automatically and that is what you are paying for as a premium in this service, just like you buy a real VCDS to get access to the real latest software.

That is why it is IP............RIGHT?

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

14. Likes DV52 liked this post