Audi A3 steering wheel into VW Rabbit

leftlanecars

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63208
Tried to install steering wheel from an audi A3 into a 08 Rabbit.
The Rabbit is just a vinyl wheel without controls. I swapped everything - the clock spring, steering module and wheel/airbag. The result was "no communication" of the steering wheel angle sensor.
The shifters actually worked but the volume controls did not.

I installed the Rabbit steering module back into the car and now the steering angle sensor is working, but of course none of the functions on the steering wheel work.

This leads me to believe that the actual pin-outs on the steering module is different on the audi vs rabbit.

Is there a module that will make the audi wheel work correctly? Maybe from a GTI or TDI Cup car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rabbit Part numbers:
Steering module: 1K0 953 549 BF
Clockspring: 1K0 959 653 C

Audi Part Numbers:
Steering Module: 8P0 953 549 K
Clockspring: 1K0 959 653D

Last edited:

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Please post an autoscan so we can see the errors.
The software is likely to be different between the modules and likely to be coded differently. You'd also have to compare the wiring diagrams from Erwin of both vehicles to establish if the pinouts are the same, which is a must before retrofitting.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
leftlanecars: This question has been asked before - more generally. The A3 and my mk7 Golf are based on MQB technology so they share a common build platform. Here's a diagram comparing the CAN bus topography of the multi-function module in the steering wheel (in VWs) pre and post MQB cars for Golf vehicles:

UQEXmN5.png

I'm not sure about the specifics of the 08 Rabbit, but I suspect that the same dynamics will apply. So what the diagram shows is that in pre-MQB cars, the multifunction steering wheel module communicated as a LIN slave directly with the steering wheel module (J527). However, in MQB vehicles (like my mk7 and your A3 steering wheel) the multi-function steering wheel module (J453 in the diagram) communicates directly with the CAN Gateway module - as a LIN slave to J533 (albeit, the wiring is routed via J527 as in previous models).

Again, with the caveat that I'm translating Golf CAN network theory to your situation, but with the understanding that in both cases we are talking about fundamental changes that apply to MQB vehicles, my suspicion is that getting the cross wiring connections correct in your case won't help - I think!!

happy to be corrected in my hypothesis!

Don

PS: Uwe - is the TLA "LIN" sufficiently credentialed to warrant inclusion on the forum lexicon?

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
PS: Uwe - is the TLA "LIN" sufficiently credentialed to warrant inclusion on the forum lexicon?
Certainly. It's more-or-less an oversight that LIN wasn't in there already.

-Uwe-

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Is the steering wheel from an MQB platform A3 or an older PQ platform A3?
Either the part number or a photo would confirm this.

Back